Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
Learning is deepened when situated in meaningful, real-world, authentic experiences to achieve one’s potential as a constructive and reflective citizen.
- Solve meaningful, real-life, complex problems by taking concrete steps to address issues and design and manage projects.
- Engage in an inquiry process to solve problems as well as acquire, process, interpret, synthesize and critically
analyze information to make informed decisions (e.g. critical and digital literacy)
- See patterns, make connections and transfer what they have learned from one situation to another, including real world applications.
- Construct, relate and apply knowledge to all domains of life such as school, home, work, friends and community.
- Analyze the functions and interconnections of social, economic and ecological systems.
- Evaluate the accuracy, perspective, credibility and relevance of information, media, data or other resources.
- Know and use a deliberate design process for generating ideas, testing theories, creating innovative artifacts or solving authentic problems.
- Break problems into component parts, extract key information, and develop descriptive models to understand complex systems or facilitate problem-solving.
Critical thinking and problem solving involve addressing complex issues and problems by acquiring, processing, analyzing and interpreting
information to make informed judgements, decisions and actions.
Examples of Critical Thinking and Problem Solving in the UGDSB
- EITC (Elementary Inclusion Technology Coaches) & PD (Professional Development)
- TJRC (Terry James Resource Centre), Central Library—Makerspace kits & science kits provide inquiry prompts for both students and educators
- Learning Commons—Space is designed to give students a location to work, collaborate, problem solve and a space for e-learning etc.
- Design challenges
- Inquiry based approaches
- Media literacy supports this strand in terms of digital literacy
- Emphasis on outdoor learning
- Knowledge Building Forums e.g., Natural Curiosity
- Learning through problem solving in mathematics
- Transformational Teaching and Learning Strategies